In the recent years there has been a significant rise in the number of heart disease cases in the US. According to a report of Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, approximately 610,000 Americans die from heart disease each year, which means 1 in every 4 deaths.
This astounding figure has a lot of causes behind it, years of bad diet being the foremost cause. Processed food and meat play a significant role in the rising heart issues among the American population. This is why we need to look into healthy foods which will help to counter-attack the bad effects caused by unhealthy diet.
Here are the Top 10 Foods Good for Your Heart:
- Salmon – It has been tested that ocean going fish is very rich in Omega-3 fatty acids. This helps you to avoid blood clotting. This also helps you to control the triglyceride. You should have the fish in reasonable quantity on two days in a week. When it comes to a healthier heart, the benefits of eating fish tend to outweigh the possible risks of exposure to contaminants.
- Healthy Nuts- a few nuts like walnuts and almonds is beneficial for the heart and it also fills your stomach. It controls the bad cholesterol in your body. These nuts contain a number of nutrients like vitamin E, folate, melatonin, omega-3 fats, and antioxidants which are good for the heart. Walnut gives several vascular benefits to people suffering from any type of heart diseases.
- 3. Raspberry- This is very rich in vitamins, antioxidants and also The high polyphenol content in raspberries help in reducing blood pressure via anti-inflammatory mechanisms. The potassium content in berries helps to regulate the heartbeat. It also regulates blood pressure. Raspberries are rich in minerals like manganese, copper, and iron which produce red blood cells.
- Chia seeds- You need just a spoonful of this seed, which has very high percentage of Omega-3 fatty acids equivalent to 4 ounces of salmon. These seeds contain a very low quantity of calorie. This helps to reduce bad cholesterol. Chia seeds contain a huge quantity of calcium and are liked by the people who do not like to drink milk. The seeds contain five times more calcium than milk per ounce. It has numerous other health benefits.
- Oatmeal – It is a well-known fact that oatmeal is helpful in reducing cholesterol. It is beneficial only if you eat only the plain oatmeal and not processed kind. Instant and flavored oats are often drenched in processed sugar and are bad for your health. You can try interesting oatmeal recipes and make your breakfast interesting and nutritious.
- Pumpkin seeds – A quarter of a cup of pumpkin seeds contains almost the total the quantity of magnesium which is required by the human body on a regular basis. This helps to regulate the pumping of the heart. Regular intake of magnesium helps you to control blood pressure and minimize the risk of sudden cardiac arrest.
- Broccoli– Fresh part of broccoli with a marinated paste made of ground chickpeas is a healthy snack which is good for your heart. This snack is high in vitamins C and E and also potassium which is good for general health.
- Tofu – This is a soft white substance which is created from soya beans. Tofu is also called bean curd. The benefit of marinated tofu with lots of vegetables can be very delicious and healthy dish for the heart. Intake of tofu helps us to lower the risk of heart disease. It helps you to get rid of bad cholesterol and improves the health of your cardiovascular system.
- Vegetables– There are lots of vegetables available in the market. Most of those are good for the heart. But especially the vegetables which are dark colored like red, yellow and orange are very good for the heart. The examples of these are carrots, red peppers, sweet potatoes, etc.
- Avocado – This green vegetable is wonderful for the heart. It helps to control the cholesterol level. It contains magnesium which reduces the chances of heart attack. The fatty acids prevent blood clotting. The presence of potassium, helps you to control blood pressure.
In today’s world, it is very difficult to control the intake of processed fats and other types of food harmful for the heart. So it is absolutely necessary that we include foods beneficial for the heart in our diet so that we have to keep heart diseases at bay and lead a long and healthy life.