Insomnia is the inability caused generally by psychiatric or medical conditions to fall asleep or stay asleep for a long period of time. People suffering from such difficulties at night go through major frustration and discomfort which ultimately culminate into something unhealthy for their body system. Insomnia can undoubtedly have a deep impact on all aspects of your health, starting from making you feel dizzy and exhausted, having a low quality of brain functions and mood swings, showing acute fatigues to resulting poor performances at work or school/college. However, some people start popping pills to get rid of such issues but little do they know about the long term effects which are awaiting them. Here are some natural cures for insomnia which might be of some help to the sleep deprived.
Causes of Insomnia
This disorder can occur due to several causes and may be associated with serious health problems such as:
- Medical conditions such as Arthritis, Asthma, Parkinson’s Disease, Hyperthyroidism, Reflux, etc.
- Emotional conditions such as anxiety, stress, depression, etc also play a major role in this.
- Medications: body slimming pills, contraceptive pills, hormone stimulants, antidepressants can sometimes alter the sleep cycle and cause Insomnia.
Cures for Insomnia
Nowadays treatment of Insomnia can be done in various ways viz., using different therapies, practicing yoga, utilizing Ayurveda, home remedies, etc. If you are stuck with the disgusted feeling of staying up all night watching the clock and hearing its ticking sound. The following is the list of cures for Insomnia that will lessen your tension.
Home Cures For Insomnia
- Let Milk be your sleeping potion: Sipping a glass of warm milk approximately one hour before going to bed is widely famous as a home cure for Insomnia. Milk has a high level of Tryptophan, a sleep inducing amino acid which produces Serotonin when released into the brain. Serotonin is known as a tranquillity boosting neurotransmitter which surely aids you to fall asleep. If not scientifically proven properly, warm milk has been psychologically proven to be highly helpful in this matter.
- Make Your Bedroom Comfy: Most of the times, people suffer from sleeplessness due to an ambiance of room not fitting enough for the sleep to commence. In order to rule out such possibilities, you can make some modifications in your bedroom which would favor your sleep. For example, put some soft music in low volume till you feel drowsy enough, replace your mattress and pillow with new comfortable ones or diffuse a good fragrance to send off your stresses and fall asleep.
Herbal Cures For Insomnia
- Valerian: Valerian (Valeriana officinalis) is found to be useful in several ways for its high calming activity. It is basically a herb or flowering part whose roots are used for sedative effects. Adding it with your cup of tea thrice a day can yield good results with time. If you find the odor to be very strong, you can add flavors like honey or milk which will give you a better infusion.
- Lavender: Lavender (Lavandula officinalis) is one potent sleeping aid as studies suggest. Lavender oil can be used in many ways to get a positive result in this respect. It can be massaged on the body as done in aromatherapy using a few drops or dropped in a bathtub while showering before bedtime to give you a relaxing moment. This relaxation causes your nervous system to calm down which in turn makes you fall asleep.
Spiritual Cures For Insomnia
- Spiritual Healing Of Mind: The sole reason for you not to get sleep is the restlessness of your mind. Whenever you go out of balance with the negativities inside your mind, depression sets in and that is how sleeplessness comes into the picture. Based on spiritual practice and observations, you can gradually learn how to achieve the peace inside you. You can begin with prayers and then slowly slip into the meditation on a regular basis for betterment in your results.
- Go For Acupuncture: It is important to channelise your inner energy in a right way and to balance the energy or life force. In this process, insertion of thin needles takes place in certain specific points of your body which upon insertion activate certain blocked channels known as meridians. These channels help your brain to process faster when you need sleep and hence it acts accordingly.
Cures For Insomnia In Ayurveda
- Deploy The Power Of Ayurveda: Ashwagandha (Withiana somnifera) is good for insomnia as it refreshes our nerves and relaxes them. T agar (Tabernaemontana spp.) is a powerful herb which is used for rejuvenation. The herb is used to clear out toxins from blood and blood vessels. Jatamansi (Nardostachys jatamansi) or muskroot is a sedative herb helping in relaxation of the nervous system. It’s very effective in the case of neurosis, neurotransmission. Brahmi (Bacopa monnieri) & Sarpagandha (Rauwolfia serpentina) are also helpful in this case. Brahmi tonic rejuvenates brain cells and cures mental fatigue whereas Sarpagandha is a herb which acts a good tranquilizer.
- Ayurveda At Home: Sprinkling green cardamom powder on your regular glass of milk will boost the sleep cycle in your body twofold. Other options include having 1 tsp of licorice root dust with a glass of warm milk on empty stomach after you wake up in the morning or one sliced banana with cumin (1 tsp) sprinkled on it before you go off to sleep at night.
Yoga Cures For Insomnia
- Yoga Poses (Asana) To Seek Peace: Yoga helps to get rid of the sleeplessness by maintaining the normal blood flow through the body and restoring mental peace by reducing mental fatigue. Uttanasana, Marjariasana, Baddha Konasana, Viparita Karani, Balasana, Shavasana are the yoga poses which are most effective in curing Insomnia.
- Productive Pranayam: Practicing Pranayama stimulates the nervous system. It releases the anxiety and stress and improves the blood circulation, therefore, calms the mind. Research has proven that practicing Anulom Vilom Pranayama regularly gives better results in treating Insomnia. It is indeed productive to practice Pranayams to get rid of body imbalance.
Medical Cures For Insomnia
- Usage Of Prescription Drugs To Treat Insomnia: There are 4 main drugs which are used to treat insomnia i.e. Eszopiclone (Lunesta), Ramelteon (Rozerem), Zaleplon (Sonata and generic) and Zolpidem (Ambien, Ambien CR, Zolpimist, and generic). These are highly effective.
- Usage Of Nonprescription Drugs To Treat Insomnia: Drugs containing antihistamine e.g. Diphenhydramine sold under the brand names Nytol and Sominex or Doxylamine and other older prescription sedatives like Benzodiazepines, Flurazepam and Temazepam might work just as the newer sleeping pills.
**But all these medicines should be used judiciously as they all have side effects and dependency, can even worsen the sleeping problem when misused or taken too often. So taking opinions from the physician is a must before using any of them.
Holistic Cures For Insomnia
- Stay Hydrated And Avoid Caffeine, Sugar, Alcohol and Tobacco: Prime thing is to drink plenty of water to keep the body functions smooth. Next is avoiding coffee, cola, sugary beverages, alcohol and tobacco as they act as depressants or stimulants preventing the natural sleep.
- Proper Diet And Eating “sleep foods”: Overloading your body with chemicals and synthetic foods will eventually affect the regime or body functions causing malnutrition and several other disease symptoms. A healthy eating habit is a prime need to keep the body functions running properly and reducing mental stress. The intake of “sleep foods” is also a good holistic remedy. Foods like bananas, grapefruit, dates, figs, almonds, raw honey, yogurt, oatmeal etc.
Natural Cures For Insomnia
- Consumption Of Melatonin: This chemical is a vital component that induces your sleep and helps you get rid of Insomnia with time if consumed properly. Our body needs additional sources to get this chemical in a high percentage, hence it can be taken in the form of pills as a supplement (natural) or consumption of fruits like cherries and bananas can boost the production of melatonin and help you sleep better. Besides, bananas contain muscles relaxants which will ease your body stresses down and induce sleep.
- Chamomile: It is globally regarded as a potentially important sleeping aid for people suffering from acute as well as chronic Insomnia. Having a cup of chamomile tea will definitely push you for going to the bed and unwinding yourself, especially if consumed half an hour before bedtime. Molecular studies have shown that a substance called apigenin binds to benzodiazepine receptors present in the brain to induce sleep.
Besides, you can do simple natural tricks to get your sleep cycle balanced. Starting your day with a proper set of exercises will be a good step in this field. You can try out different relaxation techniques to get your mind and body aligned in a proper direction. This will definitely ease out the stress level and make you fall asleep. Lastly, the most vital step in order to gain composure is to follow a proper schedule to which your body will get accustomed and every process will take place sequentially without you worrying about it. Make these as your rituals and you can bid farewell to Insomnia for good eventually.