Did you wake up in the morning with a terrible headache? Did getting out of bed today become an exercise in futility because you’re feeling so sick? Do you now regret overindulging in alcohol last night?
You then might be suffering from a bad hangover, even though the effects and symptoms of a hangover vary greatly from person to person.
What are the Causes of a Hangover?
Hangovers are first and foremost caused by the excessive consumption of alcohol like whiskey. Alcohol basically acts like a diuretic that makes your body urinate more, thus dehydrating it quickly.
It is vital that you drink responsibly for it is your health which is at stake, and getting hungover too quickly and frequently will adversely affect the quality of your lifestyle and work life.
- Drinking on an empty stomach only exacerbates its effects many folds since the presence of food helps to absorb the alcohol. The stomach lining is often irritated that can cause vomiting, nausea and abdominal pain.
- If you didn’t intersperse your drinking with consuming water and soft drinks in between, dehydration is caused.
- Any pre-existing stress and anxiety make the body and head more susceptible to being hungover, due to the dilation of blood vessels, making the head vulnerable to severe headaches
- Alcohol manages to inflame the immune system that can lead to symptoms like a lack of appetite and problems in remembering
- Your blood sugar levels fall that makes you experience fatigue, weakness and sick overall
- While alcohol does make you very sleepy, you are prevented from falling into a deep, fitful sleep leaving you feeling tired and exhausted.
- Drinking darker colored forms of alcohol like bourbon can induce a hangover faster than a lighter colored alcohol like vodka, gin or white wine due to the presence of substances called congeners.
- When you smoke and drink simultaneously, the chances of a hangover increases a few folds due to the presence of nicotine.
Some of the Symptoms of a Hangover Include
- Severe nausea and an ache in the belly
- Lightheadedness, dizziness and a constant feeling that the room is spinning
- A rapid heartbeat and possible heartburn
- Having trouble getting regular sleep
- An excessively dry, bad and sore feeling in the mouth, leading you to feel very thirsty
- A strange feeling of light sensitivity
- More serious symptoms like breathlessness, vomiting, seizures, and unconsciousness need to be remedied with help from a professional.
Here are 10 Best Home Remedies in How to Cure a Hangover Quickly and Effectively ~
1. Firstly Hydrate, Hydrate, and Hydrate
This is the easiest and most effective way to get rid of a hangover. You should not only drink lots of water while drinking but also have copious amounts right before going to bed.
Since alcohol acts as a diuretic and makes you urinate a lot, it is important to keep replacing all extra fluids lost and prevent dehydration.
2. Drinking Lots of Rich Fluids & Juice
Drink electrolyte and carbohydrate-rich fluids like sports drinks, or freshly squeezed juice or coconut water.
They help to restore all nutrients that have been flushed out of your bodies such as potassium and salt.
Juices are high in fructose content and vitamins, and thus basically contain sugar that can boost your fallen energy levels greatly. This is one of the best ways in what helps a hangover.
3. Sipping Some Ginger Tea
Make a light ginger tea for yourself first thing in the morning to combat the waves of nausea and vomiting. Add some lemon and honey to it to make a potent instant hangover cure.
4. Avoid Drinking Caffeine
Try to avoid caffeinated drinks such as coffee the day after the hangover. What they often do is that they make you more dehydrated than less, and also tend to raise the blood pressure
5. Having Nutritious Breakfast
Eat a nice and filling breakfast the following morning. Make sure it contains eggs, as they contain a substance called cysteine, which helps to break down all the harmful toxins in your body, leaving you feeling fresher and more energized.
If eggs aren’t your thing, then have a bowlful of cereal in trying to get over a hangover.
6. Getting Adequate Sleep
Sleep is one of the best ways of dealing with a hangover. Since you’ve already not gotten enough hours of sleep in, it is important to restore and replenish your body and make your face glow resplendently.
7. Healthy Food Intake
If your stomach is feeling upset, sensitive or bloated, stay on bland food the entire day like bread, biscuits, and crackers.
Getting your body nutrients back to their optimal levels is what is crucial in trying to work out a hangover.
8. Carbohydrate-Rich Food
Eat a lot of carbohydrates like oatmeal, whole grain bread that is filled with nutrients and vitamins to the brim.
If you can’t keep solid food down, then have a warm and light vegetable broth that can help to settle your stomach and up sodium and potassium levels.
9. Fruity Tips for a Hangover
Fruits like kiwis and bananas are full of potassium and are important to eat in curing a hangover as soon as possible.
Foods rich in potassium are important as you lose the nutrient while urinating, leading to the most common hangover symptoms of nausea and weakness.
Mushrooms, leafy green vegetables are good sources of potassium too.
10. Oxidize Your Cells
Get some fresh air and exercise if you feel like it and are up to it. Go out for a short walk without exerting yourself too much.
Walking would help to speed up your metabolism and help to flush the alcohol out of your body faster.
All the, above hangover symptoms, tend to only last for about twelve to twenty-four hours. It is vital that you give your body a lot of time so as to recuperate and become fit and functional again.
However, what is more, important is that you don’t let your body come to this stage at all and learn to drink more responsibly and not consume high levels of alcohol at once.
I’m Rhea, a fitness enthusiast, and a food lover. I am a housemaker, foodie, writer from NYC. I am a passionate writer and I love exploring places. Since I love cooking and working out, I am sharing my organic food recipes, fitness and beauty tips with the world. Trying to touch lives with some useful information.