Sometimes regular bathing and good personal hygiene leave you wondering why the body odor?? If this stresses you out, especially when you are at work then it is vital that you read this article to understand the causes and the remedies that will help you to get rid of the bad body odor. You need to first know the causes before we discuss the remedies for a wonderful body scent.
Editor’s Recommendation: “Effective Tips to Get Rid of Smelly Hair”
Some Causes of Body Odor
Children do not necessarily give out unpleasant body odor, as the hormones produced during puberty tend to initiate this change.
- Sweating (lack of sweat evaporation)
- Apocrine Glands produce high protein sweat resulting in odor
- Hot Weather
- Hormonal Changes
- Having certain medical conditions
- Bacteria breaking Down
- Smoking and Tobacco cause bad breath
- Drinking Alcohol
- Poor Hygiene
- High-Stress Levels
There are many natural ways to get rid of bad body odor which may be in the armpits, or the feet. It is usually these areas where the smell occurs and can sometimes be a major turn off.
It is important to remove body odor naturally as using antibacterial soaps and deodorants does not suffice as the bad smell reoccurs after a while.
Where Does Body Odor Occur (Most Common)
Body odor most commonly occurs in folded corners of the skin or areas covered with tight clothes and are prone to sweating. To name a few parts, armpits, feet, groin, genitals, and other areas with hair, the belly button, and behind the ears and between the legs.
How to Get Rid of Body Odor: 10 Effective Home Remedies
Though body odor is a natural phenomenon, it can be embarrassing and can shake our confidence and personality. Given below are 10 home remedies to get rid of this pesky problem.
There are many essential oils that remove the bad body odor and underarm smell. Some of them are
- Coconut Oil (Coconut oil is rich in lauric acid, which effectively eliminates the bacteria present in our body, thus helping in getting rid of body odor.)
- Tea Tree Oil
- Lavender Oil
- Peppermint Oil
- Rosemary Oil
How to Apply
- Dilute 5-6 drops of tea tree oil or other oil with water.
- Dab the mixture gently on your underarms and other areas.
- Doing this daily will reduce the smell considerably.
Essentials oils have antibacterial properties, which aid in warding off the bacteria and fungus present on the skin, which, in turn, prevents the occurrence of stinky body odor.
Tea tree oil is a super potent essential oil that acts as a natural antiseptic and astringent, thus reducing B.O.
2. Epsom Salt
It is one of the best and easy way to detoxify the glands and parts of the body. When the glands are detoxified the body odor automatically reduces.
- Fill a bathtub with hot water and add about 1-2 cups of Epsom salt into it.
- Add 3-5 drops of essential oil of your choice. (Optional)
- Soak in the bath and relax.
- Regular bathing with Epsom Salt once a week prevents the foul underarm odor and the feet odor.
Epsom salt is an antioxidant and is known to detoxify our body. It also helps our body produce a hormone called serotonin, which reduces sweat production.
3. Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV)
ACV is a natural alternative to store-bought deodorants to fight bad body odor. Being acidic in nature ACV is known to balance the pH balance and kills and prevents the bacterial formation. This reduces the strong body odor and keeps you fresh.
- Apple cider vinegar can be directly applied to your underarms and other body parts using a cotton ball.
- Alternatively, half a cup of ACV can be mixed with one cup of water and used as a deodorant.
4. Lemon Juice
Lemon being acidic in nature is effective in lowering the pH balance in the body thus reducing bacteria and sweat production. If applied regularly this helps in controlling the body odor.
- Cut the lemon in two halves and apply on the smelly armpits and other parts.
- If you have sensitive skin mix the lemon juice with water and apply on skin.
- After drying up, wash it off with lukewarm water.
- Using this daily will reduce the smell and aid in breakage of bacteria too.
5. Baking Soda
Baking soda is a neutralizer and absorbs the sweat, hence preventing bad odor. You may apply some baking soda just as you apply talcum powder and dust off the extra powder. Application of this for a few weeks not only diminishes dark spots but also the body odor.
6. Rose Water
An absolutely natural way of removing smelly elements from the neck, underarm or between the legs is by using using rose water.
- Mix three parts of rose water with one part of Apple cider vinegar.
- Spray it often in the affected areas.
This will reduce and gradually eliminate all the smell from the body.
7. Tomato Juice Bath
We all know the acidic nature of tomatoes helps in detoxifying. To control bad odor.
- Mix two cups of tomato juice in one bucket of lukewarm water.
- Soak yourself in that for about half an hour and then rinse your body well.
This will not only close the pores to prevent the sweat but will also kill the bacteria, leaving your body fresh.
8. Fenugreek Seeds
An antioxidant, fenugreek is one of the primitive ways of detoxifying the body.
- Boil one teaspoon of fenugreek seeds in 250 ml water and boil it until it reduces to half.
- Drink this tea daily until you feel a fresh breath along with a clean body.
- This is one of the best cure for body odor bacteria and stops bad underarm odor too, resulting in good skin as well.
Yogurt is an incredibly healthy superfood offering a healthy gut and weight management to help you control your fishy body odor.
Natural yogurt can be both consumed and applied to the skin. Adding yogurt to your diet is recommended because it encourages the growth of healthy bacteria in the intestines.
Applied to the skin, it can also help to alter the pH and kill bacteria on the skin, or at least reduce their density.
10. Hydrogen Peroxide Solution
Hydrogen peroxide is an age-old popular home remedy used for many purposes. It also aids in combating foul body odor, because of the anti-bacterial properties it possesses.
Mix 5 ml of a 3% solution diluted in a cup of water and apply it with a washcloth over the body helps to reduce bacterial colonies and can remedy excessive body odor.
Note: See your doctor, If you think you’re sweating too much or you may have a medical condition causing your body odor.
Tips to Prevent Bad Body Odor (B.O)
There are certain simple tips that you can do to banish B.O. or reduce their occurrence.
Improve Your Personal Hygiene
It is important to maintain personal cleanliness and leave no ground for breeding bacteria on your skin. You can follow the tips to smell good all the time;
- Bathe or Shower Twice a Day
- Use Anti-Bacterial Soap
- Wear Natural Fabric, Breathable Clothes (Cotton)
- Wear Clean Socks and Shoes to avoid smelly Feet
- Shave/Wax your armpits to get rid of stinky armpits.
Improve Your Lifestyle Choices
There are many habits and daily acts which create garlic body odor in our body. From food, diet, and other habits, keeping a check on some may help you to smell great all the time.
- Stay Hydrated and Drink Lots of Water
- Avoid Smoking and Tobacco Consumption
- Eat a Probiotic Rich Diet
- Avoid Spicy and Processed Food.
Age is also a factor; however, that can’t be reversed and hence, you may use the home treatment as discussed above.
Continue living a healthy and rich life and follow the remedies which will cure the problem permanently as a good and a healthy body is home to happiness.
I’m Rhea, a fitness enthusiast, and a food lover. I am a housemaker, foodie, writer from NYC. I am a passionate writer and I love exploring places. Since I love cooking and working out, I am sharing my organic food recipes, fitness and beauty tips with the world. Trying to touch lives with some useful information.