Who is unaware of the fact that super glue which is almost uncontrollable in putting two objects together and your fingers, and skin at times. Do not worry if the super glue has dried up on one of your glass surfaces.
Wondering what can remove super glue from glass? Acetone is the magic answer for all naughty super glues.
Super glue binds strongly to the skin and clothes and can present considerable problems while removing it.
Nevertheless, there are several other home remedies on how to get super glue off the glass. Let us consider some easy ways to remove super glue from different glass surfaces.
Best Ways to Clean Super Glue Off Glasses / Eyeglass
We have listed some of the natural home remedies which are most effective and quick to take off the glue from your glasses.
1. Acetone for Removing Super Glue
It is an organic compound. Some household cleaners contain acetone, as it is used as a chemically reactive agent.
How to use:
• Apply the acetone on an old rag or on a Q-tip.
• Put the rag on the spot of glue on the glass.
• To get the best results, let it sit long.
• The acetone will loosen the glue’s hold to the glass.
• Glue will turn more like putty.
**A note of caution: Be careful as it might damage the fabrics of your clothes.
2. Soap and Water Duo
- Boil 1 cup of water and then adding 1/2 tsp. of dishwashing soap to the water.
- Mix thoroughly and then set your glasses in a shallow dish.
- Pour the mixture over the glasses, making sure to completely cover the area with the dried-on glue.
- Allow to sit at least 15 minutes and then gently rub your finger across the glue.
The soap-and-water mixture loosens the glue, letting you push it right off the glasses.
3. Razor Blade to Scrape Off the Super Glue
It is one of the sharpest tool available in every household. When it comes to a fight with the super glue and you, the razor becomes one of your strengths.How to Use
• Start from the edge of the super glue and go under it edge to peel it off.
• If the solid glue is stubborn, apply more acetone to soften it up.
• Repeat the process until the glue has been completely removed.
• Use a metal scraper which is sharp and strong.
*A note of caution: Do not use a thin blade as it will be dangerous if it breaks.
It is readily available in home improvement and hobby stores. It can also be available under the name ‘super glue removing liquids’. The exclusive formula quickly cuts through the toughest cured adhesives and glues.
5. White vinegar
It another available at home products when we are stressed with how to remove super glue from glass mirror, plastic surface or table tops.
How to Use
• To loosen the glue, soak the plastic/glass object in vinegar for a few hours.
• Wash with lukewarm water.
• Rub with an old disposable cloth and tap dry.
6. Coconut Oil or Olive Oil
Who doesn’t have these healthy oils at hand? But whoever knew that apart from our health, they can be beneficial to the health of glasses as well? They can work well if the question is how to get rid of the arrogant glue.
How to Use
• Apply some coconut oil or olive oil to the area.
• Leave it to get soaked in the oil for a few hours so that the glue softens.
• Scrub with sandpaper gently.
7. Nail Polish Remover
Another mild form of acetone comes very handily when we are boggled with a quick way of how to remove super glue from eyeglasses.
8. Boiling Water
The heat of the boiling water damages the structure of the super glue and makes it easy to come off especially where you cannot use abrasives, for example, lens.
How to Use
• Pour boiling water directly onto the glue stain for several seconds.
• Scrape it away with a soft cloth.
9. Apply Ice Cubes
Like Boling water, this is also an easy answer to the problem. It is another method of shock treatment on the molecules of the solidified super glue.
How to use
• Hold an ice cube against the glue patch for a few minutes.
• Once frozen, scrape it off with a butter knife.
• For delicate glasses, use a moist soft cotton wool gently. Finish off with an oil application.
10. Any Solvent that Dissolves the Dried Glue
Rubbing alcohol, nail polish remover, WD-40, industrial degreasers, apple cider or white vinegar will help you to remove and clear glue stains.
How to use:
• Rub the spot with a rag, steel wool or paper towel soaked in any solvent.
• Wash gently
• Clean with a dry soft towel
11. Lemon Juice
Consider using lemon juice if you want a milder form of glue remover. It’s good for eyeglasses, lenses or other sensitive thin glasses like mobile screens. Be gentle as you work. After all, you don’t want to remove the glue but end up with broken glass.
How to Use
• Apply a small amount of lemon juice on the glue.
• Use a soft toothbrush or cotton wool.
• Apply juice around in circles over the glue until the adhesive starts to lift.
12. Mineral Oil
If the surface isn’t painted, it is helpful. The glass frame should not be a painted one.
How to Use
• Dampen a cloth with the oil
• Rub on the glue stain until it lifts
• Wash the oil off with warm soapy water.
Though removing an adhesive like super glue is difficult but now you have understood that it’s not impossible. The above-mentioned tips are some of the best ways to eliminate residual or dry glue. You actually can!
I’m Rhea, a fitness enthusiast, and a food lover. I am a housemaker, foodie, writer from NYC. I am a passionate writer and I love exploring places. Since I love cooking and working out, I am sharing my organic food recipes, fitness and beauty tips with the world. Trying to touch lives with some useful information.