Summer brings life and sun. This is the time when we break free out of the cocoon of thick winter clothes to fly and show some skin like a butterfly. But our heart sits with a thump when our subconscious mind asks us how to whiten knees fast to welcome the summer dresses.
Although there is no overnight miracle, there are definitely various ways to overcome this frailty. We will soon come around them but before that let us discover the causes behind dark knees.
Causes of Dark Knees
- Tanning is one of the prime factors that lead to darkening of the exposed body parts including knees, elbows, and forehead.
- Unhygienic conditions like dirt and dust can aggravate the darkening of knees along with exposure to the sun. With so much of pollution around, it is quite a challenge to protect the skin of your knees and the surrounding areas.
- Dry skin is another important factor that makes the skin rough and dark. We generally forget to moisturize the knees and elbows.
- Friction leads to darkening of the skin because of the regularly covered dresses we wear, like thick fabrics (jeans).
- Certain medications, Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs lead to It is one of the major causes of dark knees.
- Accumulation of Melanin often makes the knees darker which further aggravates by sun exposure.
- Certain diseases like obesity, Addison’s disease, are a reason for such conditions.
- The absence of oil glands is the main reason that the knees get dried up. There is an additional layer of skin for the free moment of the joints making the area look darker.
- Hormonal imbalance leads to dark patches on the skin. The knee is no exception to the rule.
- Genetics ~ skin along such areas are generally dark not due to our fault but because of the gift of God, that is our genes.
Editor’s Recommendation: You May Also Like: How to Get Rid of Dark Thighs
How to Cure Black Knees and Dark Spots: Remedies & Treatment
With a few simple additions to your beauty and daily healthcare routine, you can deal with the dark knee issue permanently.
These simple home remedies and tips below will give you a few ideas on how to get rid of dark spots in most natural and effective ways.
1. Apricots for Brighter Knees
It is one of the natural and organic ways to lighten dark knees. It contains special lightening properties and that is why they are a primary ingredient in most of the exfoliating and skin scrubs.
Raw apricots are one of the best cures for dark spots and black knees.
- Slice an apricot and tape it on your knees for 30 minutes.
- Rinse with warm water.
- Try this remedy for 3 to 4 times a week for satisfactory results.
2. Hydrogen Peroxide for White Knees
Hydrogen peroxide is a good skin exfoliator and is commonly found in skin lightening creams and lotions. It has a mild bleaching property.
- Dip a cotton ball into hydrogen peroxide.
- Dab the cotton on the dark knees and elbows.
- Leave for 10-15 minutes.
- Rinse with lukewarm water.
- It should be done on alternate days to attain best results.
3. Pumice Stone
While taking a shower it is one of the most disciplined treatment to avoid the build-up of dead skin cells that make the knees darker. It is a good exfoliating agent when scrubbing gently in circular motion.
- Take a shower with warm water.
- Gently scrub the knees using a pumice stone. Use mild circular motions.
- Rinse with cool water.
4. Almonds, Buttermilk, and Oatmeal Mask
Buttermilk can lighten your skin by bleaching and moisturizing it. Almonds and oatmeal are great exfoliators that remove dead skin cells.
- Make a paste of buttermilk, oatmeal, and almonds, by grinding them together.
- Rub the paste on the knees in a circular motion gently
- Leave it on for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Rinse off to see the wonder of nature.
5. Yogurt and Vinegar
Yogurt removes the dirt and dead skin cells from pores and is full of nutrients. It nourishes as well as cleanse the skin. Vinegar adds to the effect of yogurt, by its property of depigmentation of dark knees.
- Apply one spoon of yogurt and one spoon of vinegar
- Leave it on for 10 – 12 minutes.
- Rinse of with warm water.
6. Coconut Oil
One of the best available homemade remedies is a scrub of coconut oil and walnut powder. Coconut oil has hydrating and moisturizing properties along with Vitamin E that repairs and lightens the skin around the knees.
- Make a paste using the coconut oil and walnut powder.
- Scrub your knees in a circular motion.
- Leave for 2-3 minutes.
- Rinse off with water.
Coconut oil should be used regularly as a skincare routine.
7. Baking Soda
Baking soda removes dead skin cells and is a good cleanser. When mixed with milk (milk has lactic acid, amino acids, and antioxidants which keeps the skin healthy), it helps in reducing pigmentation. The process is to scrub and rinse.
- Mix the 1 spoon milk and 1 spoon baking soda.
- Apply this mixture on the knees and gently scrub in circular motions for two to three minutes.
- Rinse with water.
8. Creams and Sunscreens
A good sunscreen protects the skin from the harsh ultraviolet rays of the Sun that make your knees darker. There are various knee creams found in the market that moisturize, hydrate and lighten the affected areas.
These creams are generally enriched with Vitamin A and Vitamin E. These vitamins are an essential key to healthy skin.
9. Use DIY Olive Oil and Sugar Scrub for Dark Knees
Sugar is an excellent exfoliating agent. It removes the dead and dark skin cells easily.
In combination with the olive oil, the scrub will also hydrate and nourish the skin while it is being exfoliated.
- Add 2 spoons of sugar to 2 spoons of olive oil and mix well.
- Apply this mixture on the black knees and dark spots around.
- Rub gently in circular motions for about five minutes.
- Rinse with water.
10. Lemon Juice to Lighten Dark Knees
I saved this important skin lightener till for the end to hold your interest. We are keen on using this natural bleach and is one of the most frequently used remedies.
- A mask of lemon and honey has to be applied on the skin.
- Wash with lukewarm water after 15 minutes to witness jaw-dropping results.
Alternatively, you can squeeze the juice from a lemon and apply this on the knees directly and see your skin going brighter with regular use.
11. Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV)
The acetic acid in apple cider vinegar is a natural bleaching agent. It is a good exfoliator and skin lightener.
- Dilute the 1 part of ACV in 1 part of water.
- Soak the cotton ball in it and apply this on the knees and elbows.
- Leave it on for 15 minutes before rinsing it off.
12. Aloe Vera
Aloe Vera is one of the best natural moisturizing agents. It can be a wonderful skin toner and lightener. It will help to eliminate the dark spots on your knees.
It will also help in reducing sun damage, hydrate your skin, and get rid of any dead skin cells.
- Slice a fresh aloe vera leaf to expose the sticky, gelatinous flesh.
- Rub the pulp on your dark knees.
- Let the aloe vera sit for 30 minutes
- Rinse it off with warm water.
13. Turmeric to Get Rid of Dark Knees Fast
Turmeric is loaded with amazing chemicals and compounds that can do wonders for your health.
One of its best applications is like a skin toner and bleaching agent for your knee skin.
- Mix a teaspoon of turmeric with a bit of gram flour and a tablespoon of yogurt or heavy cream.
- Using your fingers, apply the thick yellow paste to the skin around your knees you want to lighten.
- Apply for 15-20 minutes. (Not for too long, or it may stain your skin)
- Rinse the mixture from your skin using warm water.
- Gently scrub your elbows to maximize the cleaning effect of the turmeric paste
14. A Skin-Friendly Diet
It is said that there is nothing better than consuming the goodness and nourishing your insides to have a beautiful inside. Therefore have food rich in Vitamin A and E like sweet potatoes, carrots, lettuce, dried apricots, almonds, spinach, etc.
You can easily follow these quick DIY recipes which can be made at home with most natural ingredients. Once you follow a regular regime you are surely going to see the difference.
Though it’s not an overnight remedy, still its very helpful to whiten your dark knees.
Follow these instant tips for a skin that will be thankful to you. It will not only boost your confidence but also give you a feel-good factor when you sport that favorite short summer dress of yours.
I’m Rhea, a fitness enthusiast, and a food lover. I am a housemaker, foodie, writer from NYC. I am a passionate writer and I love exploring places. Since I love cooking and working out, I am sharing my organic food recipes, fitness and beauty tips with the world. Trying to touch lives with some useful information.